Take a look at our last Underwater Fashion Workshop with Zena Holloway
Join us for our 2nd underwater fashion masterclass with Zena Holloway in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico on May 5-9 2019!
Underwater portrait photography is surreal, mesmerizing, exciting, mysterious, wonderful and fun!
No one does it better than Zena Holloway, world renown British photographer whose work has been published in numerous magazines and ad campaigns around the world.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn from the master and work with professional freediving models in a magical setting in the middle of the Mexican jungle. The Cenotes are a natural phenomenon, freshwater caves hidden in the jungle, with crystal clear visibility and beautiful natural flora decorating its rocky walls. The perfect setting for underwater fashion photography!
Zena on UW photography: “The water brings a certain unreality, a mystery. Cameras capture too much sometimes and the water takes it back a step, takes it to almost being like a painting“.
During the workshop Zena will share the vast experience she has accumulated throughout her career, helping participants start out or improve their own UW fashion photography, develop a personal style and create stunning images!
4 Nights Masterclass at Mahekal Resort – $3123 Per Person.
Additional diving days optional upon request.
* Prices based on double occupancy. Single occupancy rate available.
Here are some behind the scenes photos taken by Zena Holloway and Ran Mor on our 1st workshop:
Check out the interview posted by one of the participants in our 1st workshop – Erena Shimoda of Underwaterhealer.com, with Zena Holloway:
What will be covered during the Workshop?
Underwater Photography – There are many factors which come into play when taking your camera beneath the waves. Learn about the different aspects of underwater photography – settings, housings, lenses, ports, different types of lighting and how to control everything while staying calm. With an emphasis on how to get the most out of your own personal gear.
Shooting People Underwater – How people react when you ask them to pose underwater, what are the common mistakes, which focal range is best, which poses work best, how to keep your model relaxed and healthy, and more!
Makeup, Accessories, Clothing, and Hair – Preparation is key! Learn how to plan your shoot, which materials work best, how to prepare your model and how to control that pesky lump of hair that keeps hiding the models face.
Lighting – Learn how to work with ambient light, when to use strobes, different ways of triggering your strobes, compare various lighting setups and how to get the perfect lighting on your model.
Post Processing – Entering the digital darkroom is an important stage of photography, let alone underwater. The process is not complete until you tweak the image to fit your vision while maintaining the integrity of the image and enhancing the natural properties of your photos. Zena will share some of her post-processing secrets which are an indispensable part of her underwater work.
The Professional Underwater Fashion Photographer – Zena will share with us her own personal story. How she started out, what were her main difficulties and describe her creative process in detail.
We invite you to discover the exciting world of underwater fashion while enjoying everything that Mexico has to offer, and learning the secrets of the trade from one of the leading UW fashion photographers in the world!
Mahekal Beach Resort
Day 1: Arrival
- Arrival at Cancun airport
- Transport to Mahekal Beach Resort.
- Introduction Chat + first Master Class with Zena Holloway.
- 1st Session at Cenote Kantun Chi.
- 2nd Session at Cenote Kantun Chi.
- Master Class #2
- Class with Ran Mor.
- Dinner + Photo Review
- 1st Session at Cenote Dos Palmas.
- 2nd Session at Cenote Dos Palmas.
- Master Class #3.
- Dinner + Photo Review
- 1st Session at Cenote Chikin Ha.
- 2nd Session at Cenote Chikin Ha.
- Photo Presentation.
- Final Dinner.
Day 5 - Check Out
- Check out.
- Underwater camera system – Anything from compact to DSLR is welcome, with or without strobes. GoPro’s and similar action cameras are not recommended for this workshop. If you are looking to upgrade your gear before the workshop, participants get 10% discount at Mozaik UW Cameras. Feel free to consult with us beforehand!
If you do not currently have an underwater camera system, we are able to provide one for you. Contact us for details.
- Laptop with image processing software – It’s highly recommended to bring your own laptop equipped with your favorite photo editing software. If you are not currently using one, we recommend getting a 1-month subscription / trial to the Adobe Creative Cloud, and downloading Lightroom, Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop before the workshop. For more help with this contact us!
- Photographers that are Non-divers (scuba) are welcome to participate as well in the workshop – The photo shoots will take place in shallow water and can be done while freediving.
- Official Scuba Certification, Open Water, Advanced or above. (For the additional diving days).
- 30+ dives, recommended 50+ (For the additional diving days).